2019 and 2020 Teams and Trails: Come Ride With Us
2019 was a super year and we have YOU to thank! Because of your generosity with your time and finances, we were able to accomplish all of our goals and more! Check it out:
- Completed Phase 2b trails on Res Hill roughly one mile of fun, flowy single track including the New Towers Climb and Meadow Surfer, and Wapiti and Buena Vista reroutes.
- Completed the Treasure Mountain Connector Trail partnership project with the Pagosa Ranger District that connects Treasure Mountain Trail to the CDT. This trail was hand built with DUST2 volunteers, youth cycling team, and Tyler Albers and his trail crew. The trail is over a mile of super fun, high alpine single track trail.
- Partnered with the Pagosa Ranger District to map and inventory all existing Jackson Mountain Trails. We will be meeting with the PSRD later this year to discuss proposal ideas and next steps.
- Awarded 2019 GOCO Youth Corps grant with the TOPS and GGP to assist with Phase 2b trail construction and install two large armored crossings on Dakota Springs Trail.
- DUST2 youth cycling team had another great year, adding several coaches and upping the team training game.
- Had 24 kids (11 middle schoolers and 13 high schoolers) on our team this year and 17 coaches
- Awarded 5 full ride scholarships
- Had 9 kids race this year and 6 of them qualified for States
- Coach Lance has started a bike club at the High School to create some continuity through out the school year.
- Some of our middle schoolers got to race this year at our Sonlight Backyard Race and Escalante Days in Delores.
- We have many adventure riders on our team that prefer not to race. We encourage them to challenge themselves in other ways and want to nurture their love of the sport.
2020 Forecast: MAXIMUM LEVEL STOKE
As we look to 2020, planning and fundraising are the names of the game, and we hope you join us for some fundraising fun!
We are kickstarting 2020 with our Tuesday Giving Campaign on Facebook, followed by our super fun Winterfest line up: PMS Fat Bike Fun Race, DUST2 Cycling Team Penguin Plunge and DUST2 Winterfest afterparty at Motel SoCo!
And stay tuned for our February 22, 2020 Fat Bike Race announcement!
DUST2 2020: Dreamin’ Big
- Retention Bonus: In addition to retaining all of our super rad 2019 student athletes, we have big plans to grow our team in 2020.
- Growing some Girl power: We want to bring more girls onto the team, and are planning a 3 day skills and ride clinic for high school girls to unlock their inner shredder in a welcoming and comfortable environment.
- Did somebody say, Jackson? We will continue to partner with the Pagosa Ranger District on our Jackson Mountain Trail proposal.
- Trail Crew in Da House: We are working toward training our own trail crew and will start in 2020 with trail crew leader education for 4 trail crew members.
- Machine Power: We are super stoked to be receiving Mini excavator training for our trail crew team.
- Drop It Like It’s Hot: There are more exciting projects we got cooking that we can’t unveil just yet, so stay tuned for the hot drops.
We need your help to accomplish our goals. Please consider supporting DUST2 through the many opportunities listed in this email; we cannot do what we do without your gifts of time and money.